Ask SAM: What is the ‘engine’ attached to the Robinhood Road bridge? | Local News

Q: I noticed there is a new solar powered “craft” attached to the bridge on Robinhood Road over Muddy Creek. That is why ?

Answer: John Rhyne, North Carolina Department of Transportation Division Maintenance Engineer for Forsyth County, said:

“The silver device that was recently attached to the bridge over Muddy Creek on Robinhood Road is a surface water elevation gauge used to monitor floodwater elevations during storms. The gauge is owned by NC Emergency Management and is installed on the NCDOT bridges through a joint agreement. A number of gauges are installed in the area on the NCDOT bridges.”

Solar-powered flow gauges used to monitor floodwater elevations during storms have been installed on bridges over area waterways, including this one on Robinhood Road above Muddy Creek. The gauge is owned by NC Emergency Management and is installed on NCDOT.

Walt Unks, Diary

Q: There’s a house I frequent that I think breaks the rules about waste in the garden. There may be broken down cars and other things. Who should I report it to? It’s in Winston-Salem.

People also read…

Answer: Karen Witherspoon, the director of City Link 311, said to initiate the complaint, call 336-727-8000 or 311. “We’ll take the request and send it to the appropriate department,” she said.

You will need to provide the address of the property you are concerned about.

Q: Who and how should I notify if a lamppost is burnt out?

Answer: Duke Energy installs and maintains streetlights. Jimmy Flythe, the manager – central region for government and community relations for Duke Energy NC – tells us how to let them know.

“For lighting repair requests, we have an easy-to-use online tool accessible from a computer or mobile device. The link is:

“A short video tutorial is available. There is a map showing the lampposts and also indicates if a repair is in progress.

“Area lights for homes and businesses are not mapped, but customers can select the location and submit a repair request.

Light repairs may include dim lights, replacement of purple lights (which is due to a manufacturing defect), damaged lights in addition to lights that have just gone out or are left on during the day.

“Customers can also call our contact center at 800-777-9898, but reporting online is the preferred and most accurate way to report issues.”

Several people have asked about the shredding events. Here’s what we have to come.

Fries Memorial Moravian Church, 251 N. Hawthorne Road, Winston-Salem, will have a community shredding day from 9 a.m. to noon on September 17. Shamrock Shredding will shred documents on site in the church parking lot. Donations of $5 per filing box or bag are requested. Paper only; no plastic or non-paper waste will be accepted. Proceeds will go to local youth and family ministries.

Trinity Moravian Church, 220 E. Sprague St., Winston-Salem, will host a shredding event from 9 a.m. to noon on October 15. An amount of $5 per box or a donation is appreciated.

If your group is planning a shredding event and you would like to be on the list, you can email the information to [email protected] or mail to Ask SAM, 418 N. Marshall St., #100, Winston -Salem, NC 27101.

Email: [email protected]

Write: Ask SAM, 418 N. Marshall St., Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Comments are closed.