Chief of Party, Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) 2030 – Ghana
Citizens of Kenya, Ghana, Senegal and South Africa or permanent residents authorized to work in these countries are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is dependent on funding.
IREX is an independent non-profit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous and inclusive world by empowering young people, developing leaders, strengthening institutions and expanding access to education and information. quality. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $100 million, offices in 20 countries and a global workforce of 600 people. We work in over 100 countries around the world.
IREX is seeking qualified leadership candidates to support the first Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). This program will empower and connect young African leaders as they drive inclusive economic growth and prosperity, strengthen democratic governance, and strengthen peace and security in sub-Saharan Africa. The Party Leader will be based in an African country and will provide oversight and leadership of the overall activity.
Summary of responsibilities
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program, including an overarching vision for an expanded pan-African model of youth leadership development that builds on past gains while innovating to achieve three long-term transformational outcomes: 1) Build skills in leadership of young African leaders to respond to the needs of their communities, countries and the continent; 2) Empower leaders and create networks of young people to shape the development of their communities to promote good governance, increase economic prosperity, peace and security, as well as health, education and livelihoods inclusive and equitable livelihoods; 3) Harness and leverage the contributions of diverse partners to align development efforts, increase the impact and reach of young Pan-African leaders, and catalyze sustainable economic growth and opportunity between the United States and Africa.
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID and develop productive collaborative relationships with a wide range of key stakeholders across the continent, including YALI regional leadership centers, universities, government officials, other donors and implementers , civil society and private sector partners, program beneficiaries and others .
- Develop strong collaborative, supportive, and mutually respectful relationships with diverse team members, with other IREX leaders, and with leaders of key stakeholders and partner organizations.
- Ensure that program activities are implemented on time, within budget and coordinated to maximize efficiency and effectiveness across all regions.
- Oversee program budgeting and forecasting, financial management, compliance, and sub-award management.
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, learning and reporting to ensure the program adapts as needed to achieve objectives and that learning is captured and shared widely to maximize impact and sustainability.
- Oversee and help drive a private sector engagement strategy.
- Integrate diversity, equity and inclusion throughout program implementation while promoting an evidence-based approach to positive youth development.
- Supervise, manage and mentor program staff; lead the recruitment of specialized technical staff.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications Required
- Citizenship or residency of a Kenyan, Ghanaian, Senegalese or South African country with work authorization to be able to work in one of these countries is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; highly preferred master’s degree.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of successful experience overseeing, managing, and implementing USAID-funded programs and/or other related donor-funded programs, with at least 5 years of experience in program management in Africa. large-scale and multi-regional programming.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in Positive Youth Development (PYD) approaches that help young people contribute to their full potential.
- Proven leadership qualities, including a leadership style that empowers team members, follows the principles of positive youth development, and instills diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Technical expertise in youth leadership development; youth leadership training and professional development; network development; alumni engagement; and the commitment of various partners.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting young leaders to drive inclusive economic growth and/or promote good governance in their communities.
- Proven management and leadership coaching and mentoring approach to effectively collaborating with others and building the capacity of program leadership team members.
- Excellent management, communication, representation and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop collaborative, supportive and mutually respectful relationships with other adult and youth leaders.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit, to plan strategically and creatively to achieve program goals, with a focus on innovation.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with senior government officials, with youth-led organizations, civil society organizations, international donors and other stakeholders.
How to register
Please click https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oZXFkfwF&s=ReliefWeb to submit your resume and cover letter for consideration.